Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anxiety of Influence

Aw jeez. I really hate presentations. Not watching them, of course, but being in them. It makes my stomach turn, it makes my heart race, it increases my rate of respiration. For as long as I can remember, presenting in front of a group of people has been my biggest fear and college is really forcing me to get over this fear, but it's been a rough process.

All of the presentations in class have been so wonderful, it makes me anxious about our group's presentation. I think we've concocted a pretty creative idea and it's not that I don't have faith in the people in my group, it's just when it comes my turn to speak in front of the class, I'm sincerely hoping I don't flop.

I walked in late on the first group presenting on Monday (the one that was a debate) but I think both sides made some pretty interesting points. I would never write someone off as uninteresting because they've never or rarely read books. I think listening to people's experiences is very intriguing. But hearing someone's opinion's or thoughts on a book and how is relates to their own life almost makes for richer conversation. Analyzing themes of a novel forces you to think outside of your own experiences, outside of your own box. While going outside and living life is always a plus, there are some experiences that one can only get from reading a really profound book. But then again, I don't want to spend my entire life on the side lines, reading, while my life is passing me by. I think it's healthy to have large quantities of living and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment