Thursday, February 25, 2010

Archetype

"An Archetype is a model of behaviour or pattern of energy that is easily recognisable and resonant to human beings. We can identify with and relate to archetypes as they are primary characters or personalities of the human condition.

Archetypes are everywhere. They are played out in fairy tales, movies, books, TV shows, in our families, our work environments and amongst our friends.

Snow white (Princess) is an archetype, Homer Simpson (Fool) is an archetype... so is Mother, Father, Son and Daughter. We instantly recognize what these roles are and how they are supposed to behave "


I found this article on Google about female archetype and whenever I think "archetype" regarding male and female, I instantly think of a man or woman maintaining his or her gender role. What is acceptable in society - the woman is nearly always the nurturing one, the mother, the emotional one, the weaker one, the temptress, etc. The man is supposed to represent strength, power, wealth, stability, the hero, etc.

One of my favorite archetypes is "the Mentor". I mean, doesn't it seem like Morgan Freeman is always the mentor or "life coach" in all of his movies? Like the wise older voice who is guiding along the young, and still reckless hero. Or perhaps the "wise old man" archetype - Galdalf, Dumbeldore, Merlin,.... Yoda?! Once I start to PAY ATTENTION I notice that there really isn't one piece of literature, film, television show, etc. where I haven't seen some sort of archetype. I think that's a good thing though - I like the feeling of being familiarized with at least one character before I know anything about him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment