Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sonnet - Work in Progress


August

When we first met, your hair was gold as wheat
Your eyes grey-blue, squinting at the sun
At first I was not swept right off my feet
But in the end my affection you had won.

Often we laughed upon these summer days
Ice cream cones never tasted quite as sweet
Then to the lake is where we chose to play
As young love goes to hide from blood red heat.

Your smile left my heart pounding much too fast
As you first placed a hand upon my own
Our bare toes spreading in the fresh cut grass
This teenage romance was the best I'd known

Don't tell me that this fling we have is through
It would take a lifetime to forget you.


I wrote this sonnet about the first summer I started dating my boyfriend, Josiah. After reading it through a few times, I still think it sounds pretty rough, but I was trying really hard to make it fit the iambic pentameter format. I understand it's not poetic genius, but I definitely plan on making changes before Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment