Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dropping Eaves & "Smooth Talk"

Everyone is the class was assigned to listen in on a conversation that he or she had no part of, just to get a feel of what people are really talking about. And honestly, it's annoying to hear people say, "everyone only talks about boring, mundane topics." Yeah... that may be true but I don't expect all of my conversations with people to be about heavy, life-altering topics. Now don't get me wrong, I do love to discuss thought-provoking literature with people, or ponder world issues and whatnot, but at the same time I also find pleasure in just talking about simple things. Maybe it's just me, but hearing little tidbits about people's days often cheers me up. It makes me realize that there are people who make the same mistakes I do, and find humor in the same silly things, and listen to the same music or whatever. Maybe I'm just kind of a people-person, but if someone has a story to tell, I will always be interested in listening. I used to work in a little bakery/cafe and I always loved hearing people's stories as they passed in and out of the shop. And who knows, maybe you can find insight from people's "meaningless" conversations. So if you're passing judgement on someone based on the thirty seconds of conversations you eavesdropped on, then (in my opinion) you're being to hard on people. There's a quote I really like that I think could be relevant here:

"The world is smaller than you think, and the people on it are more beautiful than you think."
-
Bertram van Munster (director/producer)

Now on to the movie "Smooth Talk"...
My reaction to the ending of this film: "What the WHAT??" I did not care for it at all. Why the heck did Connie survive? I really thought at the end of the story symbolized her departure from innocence and therefore she would never return home again. I so very badly wanted the movie to end with the line "What if my eyes are brown". When a book or a movie ends ambiguously, it is typically a better piece of work (not always though...). I mean, think about it, when a story ends with a cliffhanger, there is always room for interpretation. Whenever I have conversations about books I've read or movies I've seen, it is usually over the ending; what could have happened, what we think happened to the character, etc. The authors of these stories know what they are doing and when they leave the story with a cliffhanger, they want to leave it up to the reader's imagination. Plus, I always think you can pull more symbolism from stories that don't have a "set-in-stone" conclusion. For me, hearing other people's interpretations of these stories is one of the great things about reading an interesting story.
But I have to say, I did like how when Connie was telling her sister what happened, she said something like "It didn't even happen. I wasn't even there". I think this shows how she had a momentary out-of-body experience because she was so stricken with fear. In reality, when we are paralyzed with fear, we don't always use our right mind.

1 comment:

  1. Very true, people may be boring but beautifully so! And i enjoy listening, i enjoy other people period. Isn't that kind of why we are here? To interact, to listen, to learn?

    The thing about people is that we all have stories. It's like a trillion little books running around. And i bet that we could all find something interesting with each and every one of them.

    Labeling them as boring and mundane is a cop-out. It's an excuse and that's a pretty lame way to go!

    ReplyDelete